Friday, September 16, 2011

A Time For T.V. Targeting

Earlier today, me and my friend Bre came across this pretty interesting article on how advertisement companies are starting to target viewers. You can find the article here.

Basically, companies like Microsoft and Rentrak are taking data from set-top boxes on T.V.s, and using it to help advertisers buy ads and target the T.V.s that are best suited for the ads.

At first, we were pretty skeptical about this. People knowing what you’re watching? It sounds as if they are looking in through your windows with little notebooks writing down every little thing you do. Then, we read further into the article, where it said “…Seth Haberman, says his company doesn’t know the names or personally identifying information about the people sitting in front of a given set-top box.”

For those of you still not sure what this means, these companies are only really paying attention to what is being watched and where it is coming from.

Also, this isn’t really anything new. Companies like Comcast and DirecTV have been trying to target ads for years, though, it’s been more successful with internet advertising companies.

Knowing this, we’re pretty fine with this.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard about this before. I think some people get paid to do this. I don't think I'd mind doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that that would limit the different commercials that we watch and people would not be able to see other things that they may like and just haven't tried before. Now they may not even know about the stuff that they don't seem to have an interest on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't want people watching me and see if I react to it. Now the way Comcast and DirecTV does it is the way to do. Then they can just get feedback right after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a good idea because sometimes I don't like random commercials about things I'm not interested in. Especially the commercials that are like 3 minutes long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that they are doing this, because I wouldn't want to watch an ad for something I would never buy, I would rather watch one that would somewhat interest me. As long as what they said about not knowing personal information is true, then I think this is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Think twice before you post. :)